Having pinned Hakata Gensuke as my preferred bowl of Ramen, I’m always on the lookout for new entrants looking at making a splash or even more optimistically.. rock the boat on Melbourne’s Ramen scene. I’ve walked past and smelled Mr. Ramen san many times but timing gets the best of me because I’m usually food coma’ing from a previous pig out session or just not in the mood for a bowl of Ramen.
But alas, the time has come. Nice to meet you Mr. Ramen-san.
お勧めは何ですか? (What do you recommend?)
Having a decent amount of space compared to most Ramen restaurants in Japan, Mr. Ramen-san is relatively cosy focusing on what really matters, the Ramen.
- Friendly service
- Probably the only place in Melbourne that offers a Yuzu based broth for Tsukemen (I could be wrong!)
- Broth provided to make the dipping broth drinkable!
- The noodles were excellent! Nice and chewy – just the way I like it.
- Pan-fried gyoza’s in a tonkotsu broth was an uncommon pairing that is exactly what it describes. Gyoza’s in soup.
- The Tonkotsu broth tasted like something that was lacking and felt lighter compared to other more heavier tasting Tonkotsu broths.
If you’re in the area and have never tasted Tsukemen before, I’d recommend giving Mr. Ramen-san a go. It’s very fun to eat and they also give you instructions for Tsukemen virgins. If you prefer to have a lighter Ramen experience, this just may be the restaurant for you!
3.5 moustaches out of 5